YYYARRRRRR!!!! Where be that scurvy dog, VK2MIA? He’s scuppered the competition, snatched the trophy ‘n’ swag and made off. Nary a sign since January o’ this scallywag. T’is time fer a new winner!
Click here to hear the 2014 Flagpole Ad!!!
Last year, MWRS’s inaugural Flagpole Contest (aka Pirate contest, as it follows International Talk Like A Pirate Day on the 19th) was a great hit. We had a number of entrants from within the club and further afield, including interstate entrants Peter Parker VK3YE, Andrew Scott VK3BQ and Brian VK4LH. This is a FUN competition, as you will see when you read the rules!
The goal of the event is to exercise your ability to operate using a portable antenna across multiple modes and perhaps to get you out of your normal operating comfort zone. As you may have guessed, flagpoles are a central theme to this competition and talking like a pirate (or dressing like one) will also help your points haul.
Non-flagpole stations are welcome to participate, but will have to work a little harder to get points.
Rules are as follows
1. The Flagpole must make up part of the antenna or antenna support (note: it is deemed that a flagpole is any ‘pole’ that is carrying a ‘flag’!!)
2. The contest will run all day on Saturday 20th September 2014 (0000UTC to 2359UTC)
3. The President / Vice-President’s of the MWRS will be adjudicators.
4. This is a fun event, keep it fun and positive.
5. This event is open to all Amateur Frequencies and Modes.
6. A contact will be the exchange of Callsign, Signal Report and a quick report of your flagpole setup!
7. Log’s are to be submitted using the Competition spreadsheet. (See below)
- Make a contact with a non-flagpole antenna 1 Point
- Make a contact with a flagpole antenna 2 Points
- Make a contact with another flagpole station 5 Points
- Make a contact with D-Star 10 Points (Maximum of 100 Points)
- Make a contact with a F call 5 Points
- Email photo of your flagpole setup to email@example.com 20 Points
- Send a SSTV Image of your flagpole setup to MWRS on HF 14.314159 50 Points (100 points for DX entries)
- Flag being flown from your flagpole 10 Points (Need photo evidence – send via SSTV, email or both)
- Pirate or funny flag being flown from your flagpole 20 – 100 Points as judged by President (photo evidence req’d)
- Pirate hat or costume – 20 – 100 Points as judged by President (photo evidence req’d)
MWRS_Logsheet – Open Office Format
MWRS_Logsheet – Excel Format
3670 kHz on 80 meters.
7045 kHz on 40 metres.
14.314159MHz SSTV (14 “Pi” MHz.. Pirates love pie!)
Terrey Hills 2 metre repeater 146.875 MHz FM output, 146.275 MHz input